Saturday 28 June 2008

Back to Nature

Last Friday, I manage to ask for my mom to include me in the 2 days 1 night Motivational Camp for the Prefects of SMK Sultan Abdul Samad (where my mom is one of the guru penasihat) at Warisan Ulu Bernam Heritage (2-in-1 name, I guess) camp in Ulu Bernam, Selangor. Don’t get me wrong, I did not take part in any of the teambuilding programs or being facilitator for the program. I just want to enjoy the beauty of lush green tropical forest here in Malaysia. Being free of charge, this camp should not be missed.

The compound of the camp

The journey took around 4 hours including one stop at Rawang RSA, thanks to the clueless bus driver who had taken wrong way and bring us around KL before we manage to get into PLUS expressway and took Tg. Malim exit to the camp.

The camp is located about 2 kilometers from the KL-Ipoh trunk road and all the students were taken to the camp by lorry. Once we arrived there, the participants were given the usual boring briefing before they were taken to their dorms. The teachers were given 2 chalets, for the male and female teachers respectively. After lunch, at about 2.00 p.m, we started our first activity, jungle trekking. Distance wise, it is quite short compared to the previous trekking I had done before, but the best part was there were many river crossings along the way, making it different from other trips that I had been to. There were river crossings using bamboo and tree root. Crossing the heavy river stream using tree root were the most challenging for me.

Taking a break during jungle trekking

Thanks to the jungle trekking, 4 leeches were fed with my blood till they are full. I did not notice the leeches until one of the students notify me as he saw blood oozing out from my back and stained my shirt. When I checked thoroughly, I found another 3 leech bites at my right foot. While the students were enjoying their dinner at 6.00 p.m after the trekking, I dip myself in the cold Ulu Bernam river stream to wash myself and my shirt from the blood stains. The night was filled with boring motivational talk by the school’s counselor which I did not join.

On the next day, after breakfast the students participated in the team building activities while I dip myself again in the river. Then, the most interesting activities caught my attention. The students were participated in the activity called ‘tubing’. I did not miss this chance and had opportunity tubing along the Ulu Bernam River with the teachers and the students.

The tubing instructor showed how it should be done...

We left the camp at about 2.00 p.m and arrived in Banting at around 6.00 p.m. Although the camp was not so exciting due to time constraint, it helps me to fill my boring semester break. But the camp can be an attractive tourist spot for those who love nature and the adventure in the jungle.

No comments: